Thursday, July 18, 2013

Slow Down, Read This ...

Every so often I read something that, as a parent, just slaps me in the face. The following article did just that. 

If I had a dollar for every time I say, “hurry up” to my boys, their college savings plans would be flush with cash! But I will say that I do now, try and take the time to stop and smell the flowers with my boys. Or, being that they are boys, stop and play with the ants or do armpit farts or climb on and jump off of everything they see. I hope you enjoy this piece as much as I did.

The Day I Stopped Saying ‘Hurry Up’
By Rachel Macy Stafford, on her blog, Hands Free Mama.

When you’re living a distracted life, every minute must be accounted for. You feel like you must be checking something off the list, staring at a screen, or rushing off to the next destination. And no matter how many ways you divide your time and attention, no matter how many duties you try and multi-task, there’s never enough time in a day to ever catch up. 

That was my life for two frantic years. My thoughts and actions were controlled by electronic notifications, ring tones, and jam-packed agendas. And although every fiber of my inner drill sergeant wanted to be on time to every activity on my overcommitted schedule, I wasn’t.

Be sure to read the rest of her post here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment